Saturday, June 24, 2006

Spot-on

From 'The Sun Says' in this morning's edition:

Tony Blair’s crime speech could have been written by Sun readers.
Yes, quite.

I was casting around trying to recall who it is that Tony Blair reminds me of in his desperation to leave not an inch of ground on his right where crime is concerned, and it came to me in a flash.

Back in the Fifties and Sixties in the Deep South there was another populist politician, admittedly lacking Blair's superficial charm, called Governor George Wallace. He knew his voters, and he memorably remarked "I ain't gonna be out-niggered by no-one".

Very different men, but the same underlying principle. "I am their leader. I must follow them".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Posts are pre-moderated. Please bear with us if this takes a little time, but the number of bores and obsessives was getting out of hand, as were the fake comments advertising rubbish.