There are some in particular that drive me mad :-
- No, magistrates do not wear wigs.
- No, they do not bang gavels. No court of law in this country uses a gavel, but the media persist in portraying them. I blame a stupid Bruce Forsyth advert for Courts Furniture Stores that ran some years ago. Courts have now gone bust. Good.
- No, the Bench are not bigoted blue-rinsed old farts - well at least 95% are not.
- No, you do not address the Bench as 'Your Honour' . That's for the Americans and the Crown Court. Technically it's 'Your Worship' but everyone says 'Sir' these days, and that's fine.
- No we don't give someone Community Service for mugging an old lady. That's just what the Daily Mail wants you to think.