Sunday, October 09, 2005

English As She Is Spoke

I was trawling the Interweb the other day looking for Chambres d'Hotes in France. I came across this cracker on one site:-

The breakfast begins in the dining room in our company if you wish it. It is traditional (continental): growing, bread, butter, jams and cakes house, accompanied by fruit juice fresh and coffee, tea, chocolate and milk.
Growing? Qu'est-ce que c'est?

Then the penny dropped. The proprietors have looked up 'croissant' in the dictionary, and picked up the archaic English meaning of 'crescent' (I dimly recall that 'cresco' is Latin for 'I grow').

I shall have to book it now, just so that I can ask them to pass the growings at breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Posts are pre-moderated. Please bear with us if this takes a little time, but the number of bores and obsessives was getting out of hand, as were the fake comments advertising rubbish.